Project Associate, Business Development
- Either Marsabit or Isiolo Counties, Kenya
- 1,775,359 KES to 2,026,067 KES per annum (depending on experience)
- Job Advert
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is seeking a Project Associate who will provide busness development expertise to support SME's as part of the USAID funded "Nutrition in ASALs Within Integrated Resilient Institutions" Project (NAWIRI). This role is located in either Marsabit or Isiolo counties in Kenya.
GAIN is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially those most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the role
The USAID funded NAWIRI Project aims to sustainably reduce levels of acute malnutrition among vulnerable populations in Isiolo and Marsabit counties in Kenya. GAIN is a partner on the CRS-led consortium, working alongside others to understand the functionality of the local private sector actors; the functionality of local market systems; the implications of this for acute malnutrition patterns and ways in which the private sector could be leveraged to improve the availability, accessibility, affordability, and desirability of nutritious foods to vulnerable households in the region.
Reporting to the Project Manager, you will provide technical expertise to develop SME businesses. You will be responsible for identifying, selecting and supporting the business to process, market and sell safe and nutritious food to consumers in Isiolo and Marsabit counties.
Role specifics include;
- Support all aspects relevant to the contracts and procurement process, including the prequalification, preparation, assessment of applications and award of purchase orders/contracts including contracts administration;
- Conduct pre-grant and post-grant due diligence to project’s shortlisted businesses;
- Conduct regular visits to grantee working location to verify actual status;
- Support the business in product development and market expansion
- Participate and contribute to development and implementation of project work plans
- Provide assistance to the project manager by monitoring the project progress against project workplan and budget.
- Collect, document, collate and analyse project data for monitoring and management information purposes.
- Responsible for maintaining crucial project documents which track project progress.
- Identify any potential issues or risks that could affect the progression of the project. Work with the Project Manager to identify potential solutions.
You will need to have good experience in the agri-food sector in Kenya, and be able to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders to develop solutions within this space. You must have experience in business development, especially business planning, as well as finance (SME finance, grant funding management etc) and the contract management process from requisition and tendering through to award and close out. It would be desirable for you to have experience of public / private partnerships and private sector experience, especially in the ASAL region.
You will find further detail about role resonsibilities and person specification in the job description.
About our offer
In addition to competitive salary, GAIN offers 25 days holiday (plus public holidays applicable to the location and / or additional given days), home and flexible working. We also offer professional development opportunities and will support you to grow in your career. We offer this within a supportive and collaborative environment. Additional country specific benefits may apply.
To apply, please follow the "Apply Now" link and carefully follow the insturctions.
This advert closes on 9th August 2020. Early applications are encouraged. GAIN reserves the right to close this advert early should we receive suitable candidates ahead of the closing date.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued. We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate
- Job Description
- Closing Date
- 9 Aug 2020