Food Processing Associate - Supply Chain for Nutritious Food
This vacancy has now expired, and is not accepting any new applications.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is seeking a Food Processing Associate to support the GAIN Ethiopia project team in developing affordable, safe and nutritious prototypes of papaya-based products, from the formulation of a viable business model through to project implementation. This role is based in Addis Ababa, with travel required across Ethiopia and is offered on a fixed term basis of up to 3 year fixed term contract (subject to funding).
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the role
The Supply Chain for Nutritious Food project is designed to develop innovative solutions that increase the quality of nutritious food for young children, adolescent girls and pregnant and lactating women. This is achieved through a number of initiatives including the Economic Growth through Fruit Transformation project which is designed to create jobs and income generation opportunities and to improve access to affordable, safe and nutritious dried papaya-based snacks by building a value chain for papaya processing in Ethiopia.
The Food Processing Associate will take on the facilitation and technical support with the experimental production of dried papaya prototype, as well as supporting with the capacity building of local food processors / private sectors, and SOPs and other related document development.
Reporting to the Project Manager, Supply Chain for Nutritious Foods, the Associate will monitor the process of prototypes development, acceptability, feasibility, and scalability of the new products. They will also support with inputs to develop the fruit processing value chain and delivery channels scaling up approach and viable business model development.
Specific responsibilities will include;
- Facilitating and supporting on the design and experimentation of drying technologies and production of dry papaya prototypes with due consideration for nutritional needs, product quality acceptability, and food safety
- Facilitating and supporting feasibility studies and assessment for the most promising prototypes job creation and business model development
- Working closely on production and installation of processing equipment and ensure functionality for medium to large-scale processors.
- In collaboration with local authorities, facilitate and support with the development and approval of standard operating procedures and quality and safety documentations for the new product solutions.
- Supporting with the capacity building local processors and other private and public institutions ensuring compliance with local regulations and global best practice
- Supporting the project manager with monitoring and tracking the progress and achievement of the new prototypes in terms of their feasibility for success as commercial product
- Providing input in the fruit value chain and delivery channels assessment for safety and quality issues
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in food safety and quality, including development of SOPs and auditing. In addition to this, they will possess an understanding and experience with international development, particularly food systems, agriculture, nutrition, and other similar topics. Experience working with local food producers, government officials and private sector partners in Ethiopia is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have project management support skills, alongside the ability to develop relationships with key stakeholders with strong communication and negotiation skills. They will have an aptitude for qualitative and quantitative analysis with the ability to multi-task and meet project deadlines.
This is a local role and applicants must have the existing right to live and work in the region. Applicants must be flexible and willing to travel throughout Ethiopia.
About our offer
In addition to competitive salary, GAIN offers an attractive pension scheme, 25 days holiday (plus public holiday), flexible working and home working. We will support you to grow in your career through formal and informal professional development opportunities and we offer this within a supportive and collaborative environment.
For more detailed information please see the attached job description. To apply, follow the "Apply Now" link.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued. We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate in.